Monday, December 22, 2008

For the Benefit of Mr. Jones

Hyde Park, London -

Remember Sweetwater Jones? I found his ghost yesterday in this gentleman, over at Speakers Corner in Hyde Park. He was talking about the evils of the working world, how we have sold our freedom and souls to the slavery of employment. I tried my best to get him to say "Sensational!", but he looked at me rather curiously, like I was raving mad.

Now, that could be true.

It was a thin day at the Corner, Mr. Jones being the only one to step and offer an oratory about the world and what was wrong or right about it. It's a popular Sunday morning tradition for this area to hold an impressive number of folks who hoist themselves up on a platform (that being the rule) and declare their opinions to the surrounding audience. Actors, comedians, philosophers...I'm told a whole variety of people stand up and get their proclamations on. This is holiday over in England of course, and so Mr. Jones was the solo attraction. These few words are offered for his benefit. Well done, sir.

No comments: