Saturday, January 5, 2008

Flip 2.0

The road to irrelevance continued through Target Center last night, as the Nuggets outclassed our feckless youth 118-107. As I was watching both the Pistons and the Celtics gear up for their rematch tonight as well as our team, I didn't get to hear all the comedy stylings of our television broadcast crew. The broadcasts on KSTC seem almost subdued as opposed to the endless spin-presented-as-analysis efforts on FSN North. If you combine the last couple of broadcasts with the MSM media reports in addition to the blogosphere however, I'm fascinated with where this train is headed.

In the last few days we've heard both the coach and Chief Vindicator Jim Petersen talk about the need for better jump shooters. In fact, during the Portland broadcast, Petersen went so far to say jump shooters are what we should be looking for in the offseason. Commenting in Britt Robson's blog, I worked myself into my usual lather (role playing only, I assure you...I am NOT a curmudgeon!). My reasoning? It seemed to me that what was being hinted at here was Flip 2.0: another team who valued perimeter play and scoring over the hard work of playing defense, sharing the ball and developing the tough mindedness that comes with those traits.

As we've seen with Flip teams, he knows how to win in the regular season--it's the playoffs where he's been exposed. I've often said he's the junior version of Don Nelson--another offensive genius who will win a ton of games, but has failed somewhat miserably to demonstrate that his brand of basketball succeeds in the second season. I thought the whole reason of trading KG and "rebuilding" (if that's what you can call it), was to develop the "smashmouth" style of ball: points in the paint, tough defense, etc. Since both Petersen and Wittman were soft, jump-shooting players back in the day, it seems that in the face of adversity (4-28 is the definition of adversity, isn't it?), people will go back to what they know and value the most.

Last night's game demonstrates why they are mistaken. Of all the assets the Wolves need right now, jump shooters are about 4th or 5th on the priority list.

Who was the difference maker last night? Yeah, Anthony and Iverson did their usual damage, but it was Anthony Carter--a guy who couldn't get regular playing time here--who stepped up and set the tempo for the Nuggets. A +17 in the stats last night, 7 of 9 from the field, with 11 assists, he initiated fast breaks, shared the ball, finished, and played tough defense. AC is a 39% percent career FG shooter, similar to Our Man Telfair, who
is at .388 for his career. This year, AC is currently hitting FG's at a 53% clip. What has caused that dramatic improvement? My guess is the style of play. The Nuggets are an aggressive, shot blocking club. They create opportunities for transition buckets and easy scores, which improves shooting percentages. Last night, the Nuggets also had 30 assists, to the Wolves 21. Denver dominated the fast break point total, which again leads to point blank shots and higher FG%.

The Wolves--even with 21 assists last night--don't share the ball particularly well. They don't stop anyone on defense, and don't create opportunities for easy baskets. They have one player who scores well in the paint, but as with all the other young knuckleheads on our club, seemingly feel they have to take the team on their shoulders to win the game. You'll rarely see Jefferson pass the ball back out to reset his position; he goes through all these low post moves to score. It's often a beautiful thing to watch, but in the context of winning basketball, it's only one piece.

What's needed first on this club are players who understand the dynamics of winning basketball, not just jump shooters. When they have a team who can do the little things and make each other better, and are able to post a few wins as a result, trust builds. When trust builds, and you have solid team play, then you can go and add individual pieces that might improve the club's chances. We just got rid of two jump shooters -- Mark Blount and Ricky Davis. Those guys could score, but didn't do much else and weren't particularly good team players. (They ARE making a huge difference for the Heat aren't they?)

Cut it from any angle you wish and the general feeling still is obvious: losing sucks. No matter who's doing the talking--Owner, VP, Coach, Broadcaster, Columnist, Blogger or Fan--losing often brings out all the worst qualities in humans. Blame and finger pointing touch all aspects of the operation; players, coaches, strategy, acquisitions and probably even the quality of vendors at Target Center. As I've said before, rebuilding is hard work. But you can't lose your focus. The answers are out there, it just takes the right folks to understand what they are.

That's the primary problem.

I certainly would be more charitable in this rebuilding process if I were confident a real plan was in place. What I've seen so far is pretty distressing: a broadcaster who's been consistently wrong about personnel and trades still acting as mouthpiece for the club, a VP who will take general responsibility for the team's demise, but fails to acknowledge specific mistakes he's made during his tenure and seems doomed to repeat them, an owner who continues to permit these mistakes to happen.

So, when I hear about needing Flip 2.0, I just shake my head. When will these folks ever learn?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peter, just wanted to say I enjoy your posts. I think you might be a little too hard on jim pete though, but it is your right and it is pretty hilarious as well. I respect and appreciate that you take the time to write your blogs, as I enjoy reading pretty much anything about the wolves. I can hardly motivate myself to participate in these blogs anymore (although I would like to). It is just too demoralizing of a season, and with each loss the frustration reaches a new summit. I tip my hat to you.

Peter Weinhold said...

pmac -

Thanks for the kind words. A couple of things in response:

Yeah, it's very demoralizing to see the Wolves these days. But fortunes can change pretty quickly in the pro sports world, so if the folks responsible for rebuilding are up for it, hope and progress can be established. Which leads me to my second point...you're absolutely right, I HAVE been harsh toward Petersen. I've heard repeatedly that he's a fine fellow and at times I've complimented him on his Wolves analysis. But I think he does reflect one of the primary problems of this organization: the ability to specifically admit mistakes. The first Boston trade was a disaster, Mike James a bust, and Mark Blount a one-dimensional, soft donut hole of a center. These are all transactions and players Petersen supported and argued for during broadcasts. And, he would do it a way that tried to infer that because he played the game and was a Wolves insider, he knew something that the ordinary fan didn't. Well, he wasn't just mistaken, he was seriously mistaken, and to my knowledge has never acknowledged those misfires.

Given how obviously bad the Wolves are now, and how many mistakes they've made in the last few years, one would think they would be slightly more apologetic in tone, especially given the dwindling fan base. But he/they are not. So, the more arrogant they are, the more mocking I become.

Who am I? Nobody. An ordinary fan who's seen the same approach taken from the Flip years through now. I would seriously doubt Petersen or anyone on the Wolves cares one whit about what I think or write about; all I'm trying to do is make fans THINK about what's actually being said and how they're being treated. If that comes at Jim Pete's expense, well, I'm sure he can handle it.

If he would simply mention his mistakes and errors in judgment (like we all have to do from time to time), and get back to what he's pretty good at, which is analyzing the game, there would be no issue.

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to be gentler with the gent, because it can make the posts rather shill at times. But all this talk about acquiring jump shooters in the offseason stirred the pot a bit, so I was having some fun with it.

Thanks again for kind words. I'll try to be as entertaining as possible.