Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Blogs, Boards, and Broadcasters

I took a month off after the Lynx season to recharge, get my daughter to New York for a second year of college, and to prepare myself for what will be an interesting basketball season. Ever since the KG trade the Iron Ranger, Clueless Glen and the Wolves gang have been silent; I'm assuming they're trying to trade all the veteran talent who've requested a trade since KG left town. Of course, a functional team would attempt to hold onto the good assets (Howard), and try to deal the questionable to awful ones (Jaric, Blount, Davis), but since Howard still has some value, it probably will be the Michigan star who gets dealt before he ever steps onto the court in a Timberwolves uniform.

What has caught my eye has been the filler material produced until Wolves training camp starts: the blogs, message boards and contributions from broadcasters. I've been lurking around on MNSportsfan.com, checking Britt Robson's Rake submissions, and trying to stomach both the Wolves propaganda and Stephen Litel's offerings in countless online venues, as he continues his attempt to be the official Wolves town crier. And, of course, no off-season would be complete without at least one or two words from our TV analyst Jim Petersen, trying to hype the blockbuster trade, and convince a skeptical crowd that this time Kevin Mchale really knocked it out of the park. Ah, sweet cronyism!

I respect Mr. Robson, who I have noticed is branching out to discussing the Twins, some Vikings, and even posting on Brian Lambert's blog on the Rake. He hasn't said much about the Wolves, but I'm sure within a few weeks he will wax eloquent on KG and his
basketball contributions (Tim Duncan is still better, BTW). The rest should be taken with a grain of salt; I like MNSportsfans around draft and summer free agent time, but beyond that it's a stew of unrealistic trades, McHale tirades, undeserved Wolves positivity, and Jerry from Blaine. Stephen Litel is a study in quantity over quality; what would happen to his Wolves access if he actually held their feet to the fire and asked a hard question? (That can be said for the sports MSM, as well).

What I find absolutely remarkable is the short memories of the folks who listen to people like Petersen. Here's a guy who:
1 - whole heartedly supported the first Boston trade
2 - advocated bringing Mike James here
3 - tried to sell people on Mark Blount's "professionalism" and skill level, just for starters.

Now, in the latest Stephen Litel masterpiece, he throws Mike James overboard without ever mentioning how strongly he felt James would be a major contributor to the club. If he were as honest and straight-up as people think he is, he should at least offer that small piece of accountability. Can't anyone even remotely attached to the Wolves organization say they were wrong...about anything?

Still, until the reality of the situation has locked in, everything is speculation at this point. Tubby Smith is still a hero, Pam Borton is still trying to recover from the mini-scandal two years ago, and the Wolves think they have a young nucleus of talent to build a future with. One would only hope SOMETHING goes right this winter.

4 comments:

Peter Weinhold said...

A comment from canishoopus, from his blog www.canishoopus.com:

Hoop Springs Eternal: Blogs, Boards and Broadcasters. Peter Weinhold goes off on Wolves coverage this summer, especially laying in to Stephen Litel. I agree that the boards (I'm more of a RealGM than MN Sports Fan poster) haven't been very good and Litel's not perfect, but I'm not sure what Peter Weinhold is adding to the Wolves Internet scene.

He rips Jim Peterson for backing the trade of KG, but I don't see an alternative proposition anywhere.

We HAD to trade KG. And yes, it was because the organization biffed so hard previously. But, after not snagging AI (remember when reports came out that AI to Minny was done? sigh...) trading KG became the best option.

I was talking to Skyner's brother-in-law last night and he's in the "don't really care about the Wolves now, but I'll watch the Celtics" crowd. I obviously disagree, but I can't blame him. The Wolves have done a terrible job of running the organization despite having one of best on-court/off-court stars in the league. Starting over is the only option they had. And I believe the trade with Boston was really the best one out there. There's been talk of a better offer last year from the Bulls (Chandler, Deng, picks) but the Wolves didn't do it.

And to the point about people in the organization admitting they were wrong: I agree, it would be almost as refreshing as if politicians did it. But the thing is, if they admitted they were wrong, the vast majority of fans/consituents would scream for their ouster louder rather than pat them on the back.

Peter Weinhold said...

Dear canishoopus:

I cannot help but respond to your post on your site. Who says I have to add anything to the Wolves internet scene? My motivation is my own, as are my opinions. Sure, it's nice once in awhile to have people respond, but in the end, I enjoy basketball in it's many forms and levels; therefore I comment on what comes to me. I have no agenda other than to critique and provide analysis from a totally outside, fan based perspective.

My criticism of Petersen and the KG trade aren't linked whatsoever. I'm simply pointing out that Petersen "expert" analysis has been substantially flawed for quite awhile now. He liked the first Boston trade; it was a disaster. He advocated the signing of Mike James; that didn't work out so well either. Pardon me if I'm a tad skeptical of his "analysis" of the KG trade. I'm weary of his penchant of talking down to average fans, many of whom, BTW, have been clearly smarter than him the last two years. Many of us "common folk" saw the iceberg from the Titanic, and said so as it was happening.

I don't agree that an occasional admission of error means people will turn their backs; on the contrary if done correctly, it becomes a strength. Petersen and the Wolves organization have yet to learn that lesson.

Anonymous said...

I too respect Britt Robson's insights and writing on the Wolves. Even when I disagree with his takes on things (which is not that often), I very much enjoy reading his articles and posts. His insights are well thought out and come with enough of an outsider perspective to allow him to remain critical of the team and players (perhaps KG excluded), and with enough of an insider perspective to keep him well informed. His use of the language also makes him a great pleasure to read.

Stephen Litel's work is quite the opposite. He either walks the team line or states the obvious. But worse that that - his writing is flat, uninspired and teeming with abysmal grammar. I'd like to request that he ask someone to edit his overflowing bag of articles and posts before he releases them on the world.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://desethepl.freehostia.com/68/342.php]Похудеть при дискинезии желчеыводных путей[/url]
- убрать жир и прибавить мышечную массу
[url=http://desethepl.freehostia.com/dieta-kremlevskaya/08-01-2010.php]Пояс для похудения вулкан эффективно ли это[/url]
- бад лида для похудения где найти в краснодаре
[url=http://desethepl.freehostia.com/dieta-pitaniya/dnevnik-pohudaniya-moryachka.php]Дневник похудания морячка[/url]
- диета по группе крови.

[url=http://dnevnik.bigmir.net/groups/article/56377]самая быстрая диета для похудения [/url]

[url=http://dnevnik.bigmir.net/groups/article/56374]диеты для похудения скачать [/url]